Omer Khan (anonymous)

Hi Allan,

I became a permanent resident of Canada 15 years ago (my wife is a Canadian Citizen) but both of us have spent very little time in Canada. I did not declare my assets when I first landed in Canada and have not ever filed a tax return. We are now planning to move to Canada permanently. I own property outside Canada from the time before I become a permanent resident of Canada. If I sell the property after I declare it in Canada how will the capital gains be calculated? What would be a better strategy to decrease the amount of tax that I have to pay (sell it before I move, gift it to my wife etc)?