Non-Resident & International Tax

If you are looking to expand your business into a different part of the world, we are here to help.

Adapting to twice the amount of tax regulations and compliance requirements, can prove to be time consuming and costly. Hence as professional providers of international tax services, we can assist you with all tax compliance requirements whilst minimizing your company's worldwide tax. Our unique tax efficient structure will be constructed to your needs.

Additionally, our international tax services also include tax compliance and tax planning for US companies that have Canadian subsidiaries. US businesses that have spread to Canada can now have their taxes handled by professional accountants in Canada, acting as their outsourced Canadian tax department. Below is a comprehensive list of our international tax services.

Listing of international tax services by experts in Canada:

  • Preparation of business and personal tax returns for non residents of Canada.
  • Advising on the tax implications of doing business in Canada.
  • Tax return preparation and advice for non-resident real estate investors.
  • US tax return preparation.
  • International tax services and development of plans (inbound and outbound).



Client Testimonial:

I run a small consulting firm in the US and Madan was incredibly helpful with providing advice on cross border tax issues. Particularly when it comes to a US company hiring an employee in Canada. I would highly recommend - A.J. Gherich

Need more information? Call us at (905) 268-0150

Leave Your Comment Here:
Required fields are marked.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

10 + 11 =

Comments 21

  1. Hello,

    I am working in USA and I need to file Canada Ontario Tax. I have a house in ON and my wife has some income in Canada. I would like to know how you can help me to file my Canada tax and how much you will charge.


    1. Hi David.

      I can file your Canadian tax return for you for a fee of $200. I can also file your US tax return for you for a fee of $300. If I prepare both returns, then you will receive a 10% discount from the total price.

  2. Hello, I will be relocating to Dubai for the next 5 years and would like to become a non-resident at departure. However, I need to maintain my primary residence for my unemployed, retired mother to live in. Are there an exemptions for this or will I be deemed a resident as I still have primary ties?
    Thank you.

  3. I’m a non resident Canadian recently relocated from UAE to USA.
    I have an investment property in Toronto mortgage with bank and need to file 2017 taxes for reimbursement of withholding income taxes?

    Can you file my return and what’s your charge?

  4. My spouse and I Just received lump sum distributions on our 403B and 401A accounts from our US retirement plans. The payee withheld the 30% withholding tax but no 10% early withdrawal penalty was assessed. We have been back in Canada now for 14 years working here but wanted to have these monies here instead of in the US. If I was not charged the 10% penalty by Fidelity does that mean I do not have to pay it? If I do how do I go about this so that I can utilize it as part of the foreign tax credit for the 2018 tax year.. I was originally under the assumption that I did not have to file US taxes and that the lump sum withholding tax would serve as my tax obligation

    1. Hi Landon, the gross amount of the withdrawals (before withholding taxes) must be included in your Canadian tax return, because they are taxable in Canada. You can claim a foreign tax credit on your Canadian return for the amount withheld.

      The US taxes withheld represent your final obligation to the IRS, and you do not have to file a US tax return to report the withdrawals. Finally, if you were not charged a 10% penalty, then do not pay it.

  5. I am a Canadian who left and worked in HK 3 years ago. I have a property in Canada which I had rented out. I’ve declared non-resident and have been submitting NR4 and NR6 to CRA for my rental income. I’m hoping to buy a bigger apartment and would like to know how it works for a non-resident? Thank you

    1. Hi Shirley, you can buy a bigger apartment without affecting your non-residency status with the CRA, so long as the apartment is a rental property. It is more difficult for non-residents of Canada to get financing for Canadian real estate.

  6. We have sold our principle residence and are planning to move back to India next month. I have a rental property for which the tenant has prepaid rent until 2019 April. I would be filing departure taxes next year. Is my tenant obligated to remit taxes to CRA next month on prepaid rent or only after I file departure taxes and CRA acknowledges me as non resident.

    1. Hi Bindu, withholding tax should not be deducted from prepaid rents and deposits. Once you leave Canada and become a non-resident, you have to remit a 25% tax equal to the rent collected in the month (or rent applied to the month from the prepaid balance). You should register for a non-resident account number first, so that you can begin remitting tax payments to the CRA through online banking.

  7. I moved to the UK (dual citizen) in August, 2018. My bank was alerted, and I have filled out the form they sent me, declaring that I am now a non-resident of Canada for tax purposes. I have no significant ties to Canada (property, children, spouse), and have a few secondary ties (I’m in the process of severing most of them). I have an small RSP account, 1 bank account, and a pension (that is no longer being contributed to). I am a resident of the UK, work and pay tax here. For my final tax return (2018);
    1. Am I considered a non-resident?
    2. Do I need to file Deemed Disposition (departure tax) and List of Properties by an Emigrant forms if I have nothing to declare on them?

    Many thanks for your help, and for running such an informative site.

    1. Hi Cora,
      You are a non-resident as of August 2018. You do not need to file form T1161 as you have no assets to report (other than a bank account and pension, which do not need to be disclosed on this form). You do not need to pay departure tax. However, you do have to file a FINAL Return (departure tax return) with the CRA to inform them of your non-resident status. You will be taxable in Canada up to your departure date in August 2018. Please let me know if you need my assistance to prepare your Final Return.

  8. Hi, I have a facebook page that I started to earn money through ads on the videos, facebook team told me I should fill Form W8Ben and form W7 so they can update my account and I can start earning the money. I am a resident of Canada and not planning on going to the US. is that something you can help me to fill and file? Thank you

    1. Hi Omar,
      Yes, I can help you apply for a US Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (form W7) and I can help you complete form W8-BEN. In addition to providing a certified copy of your passport, the IRS will also require a signed letter from Facebook showing your name and verifying that an ITIN is needed to make payments to you that are subject to federal tax withholding. Please also complete this checklist and return it to me by email to

  9. I am a dual citizen (Canada & US). I’ve been living in the US since 2002 and contributing regularly to my organization’s 401(k) plan. I plan to retire at age 65 and return to Canada. Once I’m back in Canada (and retired) I’m wondering how my 401(k) withdrawals will be taxed. Will I be taxed by both the US and Canada? Or just by one country? Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

    1. Hi Mark,
      You will be taxed in both countries in respect of the 401K withdrawals that you make after you return to Canada. However, you can claim a foreign tax credit on your Canadian tax return for the American taxes paid.

  10. Hello,
    I am a Canadian citizen retired in the Philippines. My final return was filed in 2007 and I paid departure tax at that time. Currently I file on form 917. Most of my income is by way of pension but I still hold some Canadian shares. Cra’s assessment of my 2017 and 2018 returns resulted in much higher refunds than anticipated. It appears that I have not taken advantage of the tax treaty between Canada and the Philippines and some recoveries for prior years is probable. If possible I need help with this and future filings. Thank you,

    1. Hi Paul,
      Thank you for your comments. I would be pleased to help you recover prior years’ over-payment of taxes by filing a Section 217 Return for those years. If you would like to proceed, please send an email to me. My email address is

  11. Hi there,

    I’ve been living and working abroad in Hong Kong for the past two and a half years and am in the process of moving back, I never declared as a non-resident when I left, and kept all my bank accounts in Canada since my parents are still living there. I’m not sure what kind of steps I should be taking when I come back at the end of the year? Do I need to file my taxes for the income I made in Hong Kong? If there are certain steps that require your services, how much would it be?
    Thank you for your time!

    1. Hi Nicole,

      The answer depends on when you left and the ties that you kept with Canada after leaving. I need the following information from you:
      – When did you move to Hong Kong?
      – Do you have a home in Canada?
      – Are you married and do you have children? If yes, did they move with you and when?
      – What assets did you own as of your departure date and what were they worth at that time?
      – What are your ties to Canada?
      – What is the last tax year for which you filed a tax return with the CRA? Did you specify your departure date on that return?

      The fee for a 30-minute consultation with me for tax advice is $110 + tax. The fee to file a departure return starts from $200 and the fee to file a Part-Year Resident Return (upon your re-entry to Canada) starts from $200. To book an appointment with me, please contact my assistant Sade:

Pin It on Pinterest