U.S. Real Estate Tax for Canadians

Investment in US real estate has become a common practice. If you are a Canadian investing in vacation homes or rental property across the border, it is necessary to be aware of all the associated taxes. Owning a property in the US would essentially include federal and provincial taxes in addition to the real estate tax for Canadians.

Two sets of regulations and tax laws for US real estate investment would make the paperwork tedious and complicated. However, professionals at Madan Chartered Accountant are well versed in US real estate tax for Canadians and can provide unique ways to ensure your investment plan allows for minimization of taxes. Our optimal tax structure will guarantee a reduction in your tax payments.

Please review our brochure, Cross Border Tax Structure for U.S. Real Estate Investments, to understand how you can invest in U.S. real estate as a Canadian without being double taxed.



Client Testimonial:

We used Madan Chartered Accountant to file US tax forms for US Directors of a Canadian company. Advice was accurate, forms were completed and filed in a timely fashion. Price quoted to prepare the forms was extremely reasonable and no surprises at the end when the work was complete. Great experience considering I found them on the intranet. Good job to Andrew, Francis and Sarah. Highly recommend their services. - Tracy Norris

Need more information? Call us at (905) 268-0150

Leave Your Comment Here:
Required fields are marked.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

2 × two =

Comments 5

  1. I have found the articles on this webpage to be very helpful for Canadians with U.S. real estate property. It gives the property-owners more insight from the tax perspective which some of us do not consider when buying property. Thank you!

  2. Your website has a lot of information relating to U.S. and other international tax information. I live in Toronto and would like to know some more information on U.S. estate tax relating to U.S. rental property. Thank you in advance.

  3. Hi Linda, thank you for your comment. For more information on your requested topic, please refer to the article “Tax Guide for Canadians Buying U.S. Real Estate” on our website. You should be able to see the name of this article on this webpage.Please let us know if we can assist you with anything else. Thank you.

  4. Hi,

    I am a Canadian resident and have US real estate rental property. Is there a way to avoid the 30% U.S. withholding tax on the gross rental income that I receive?

  5. Hi Magdalena, yes, you can make an election with IRS, and pay tax on the net rental income by filing a US tax return at the end of the year.

Pin It on Pinterest