I would like to know how to officially become a non-resident. I have been traveling around the world and have not had a job in Canada for 8 years. I had a TFSA and have paid received a penalty for last year for 2016, 2017, 2018 for having money in there and not being a resident. I have closed the TFSA now. I currently work in China as a teacher and pay taxes here. I don’t want to have to pay double taxes and want to make sure I do things properly. Last year no taxes were filed as I had no income.