Hi Alan, unusually helpful website – likely to approach your company if I can’t manage my tax affairs on my own. But would like to DIY to learn…

My partner and I immigrated to Canada, with the expressed/stated intention to start up a business here mid 2016. We had permanent residence status upon arrival.

As shareholders/directors of a Federally incorporated company, we therefore consider the cost of moving to Canada (a fairly substantial sum), and our first 15 days’ moving- and settling-related costs as a business expense. Does that seem reasonable?

If yes, should this be reported as a General and administrative expense (GIFI 9284) or as an Unusual item (GIFI 9985).

Hope you can help.

Regards (and thank you)