Tax Tips for Newcomers to Canada Watch Video

Allan Madan, CPA, CA
 May 18, 2016

Are you a newcomer or know someone who is? Read More…


The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not take into account your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. Allan Madan and Madan Chartered Accountant will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.

Related Resources

Leave Your Comment Here:
Required fields are marked.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comments 14

  1. Hi,
    My spouse, 4 kids under the age of 10 and I became PR of Canada in July this year. I still retain my job in my home Country and travel back and forth Canada every month to see my family. I am being taxed in my home country, am I taxable as per the Canadian standard? if yes, how can we save maximally on taxes? My spouse isn’t currently working.

    1. Hi Ayiri,

      Yes, you are taxable in Canada on your worldwide income. However, you can claim a foreign tax credit on your Canadian tax return for part or all of the foreign taxes paid. You should also claim the spousal tax credit since your spouse is not working.

  2. Hi,
    I have a question for you regarding capital gains claimed on the sale of a property outside of Canada. This relates to year 2012 tax return and this property was our principal residence till we moved into Canada. Now in 2015 we sold our principal residence in Canada but we had a loss instead of a gain. Can I amend my tax return to change the capital gain claimed in 2012 ?

  3. Hi ,
    I will be landing in Canada soon as a permanent resident. Apart from the initial proof of funds ,I intend to transfer my savings and proceeds from investments to a Canadian bank account from my home country within about 3 to 4 months after the landing. Kindly clarify if the wire transferred funds will be treated as worldwide income ,or is there any exemption for newcomers as this can be treated as settlement funds and not income.
    Thank you.

    1. Hi Nithin, you can transfer your overseas savings to Canada that you accumulated prior to becoming a tax resident of Canada without having to pay Canadian income taxes on the amount transferred.

  4. Hello madan, I landed in Canada as a pr in Feb. I have applied ccb for 2 kids. I was confused in mentioning previous year income. I had mentioned the amount that I have come to Canada rather than mentioning whole amount of previous year.
    Can I send the corrected form once again. Does my ignorance impact me due to sending the initial form without full knowledge. Could you please suggest

  5. hi,
    I have a question about new immigrants to Canada. My friends told me whe we are filing the tax return for the first time, we will get a welcome Canada amount, just like a tax refund from CRA. Is there any kind of amount from the govt. to the new comers?

  6. Hi, I am a Canadian PR but I only spent about 12 hours in Canada for my new migrant `landing’ procedure, and left Canada immediately after. I presume this means I am not (yet) a Canadian tax resident as I have not yet established significant ties. Is it possible for me to avoid future taxes on my investment income if I gift my investment assets to my father, who is a not a Canadian tax resident, before I actually start living in Canada? If I live in Canada for several years and then leave Canada permanently, and then my father gifts the investment assets back to me, will I liable for any tax on that? Thank you.

    1. Hi Alex, You are not a tax resident of Canada, since you do not have significant ties to Canada.

      If you gift your investments prior to coming to Canada to your father, then you will not have to pay tax in Canada on income derived from those investments. Once you permanently leave Canada, your father can gift the investments back to you, and you will not have to pay tax in Canada on the gift received. However, the CRA could argue that you never really gifted the investments to your father, since it was always your intention for your father to return the investments to you. As a result, the CRA could impose tax on the income earned on the investments.

  7. I am a newcomer living in Mississauga ON. I am now ready to submit my tax return for 2018 but am not sure what address to mail my return to. Some say, it should be mailed to the Sudbury office, whereas others suggest Winnipeg office. Can you help?

    1. Hi Kamlesh,
      When mailing returns or documents to the CRA, always send them with a tracking number, so if they are misplaced, you have proof of submission.


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This