Can I claim EI if I am self-employed?

Allan Madan, CA
 Sep 5, 2012


It is very important that to point out that self-employed contractors are NOT eligible for general EI benefits. If you are unemployed, you will not receive EI.
If you were fully self-employed (had no insurable earnings coming in from a job) during the year, there is a “Special EI Contribution” Program for which you are eligible.

  • Firstly, you must have registered for EI and waited at least 12 months before making a claim
  • Secondly, in the prior year (2011), your self-employed earnings should have been at least $6,222 (minimum)
  • Lastly, claims can ONLY be made on sickness (must provide proof and medical certificate); maternity (must provide proof/certificate); gravely ill family member (must provide medical proof/certificate)

You will be always required to provide proof to make claims.



The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not take into account your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. Allan Madan and Madan Chartered Accountant will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.

Related Resources

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This