As a Canadian, do I have to file a US tax return for online sales made to the US?

Allan Madan, CA
 Jan 11, 2013



I operate an online business in Canada, as a sole proprietor, which sells goods in the US. What are my US tax filing obligations?


As a Non-Resident alien earning self employment income in the US, you are required to file a US non-resident personal tax return, 1040NR. You must also file Schedule C – Profit or Loss From Business for Sole Proprietorship with your US tax return. Any US taxes paid on this income will be eligible for a Foreign Tax Credit on your Canadian T1 (personal tax return).


The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not take into account your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. Allan Madan and Madan Chartered Accountant will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.

Related Resources

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This