I have been assigned to a temporary assignment (few years) by my employer to work in a foreign country. Will this affect my Old Age Security eligibility?

Allan Madan, CA
 Nov 12, 2013

Normally, your Old Age Security eligibility will depend on the number of years you physically lived in Canada after the age of 18. This means that your OAS eligibility will very much be affected by your temporary assignment. However, Canada has a Social Security Totalization Agreement with various countries around the world which states that if you are reallocated to a country which has the agreement with Canada, your time during the assignment will be treated as if you lived in Canada for OAS purposes.

For countries that have the Social Security Totalization agreement with Canada, please click here.



The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not take into account your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. Allan Madan and Madan Chartered Accountant will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.

Related Resources

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This