Do I have to report my income from hobby sales?

Allan Madan, CA
 Oct 30, 2013


According to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), hobby income must be reported on your tax return if it generates a profit (revenue in excess of expenses). In the eyes of the CRA, this is a strong indication that the hobby is a venture with an expectation of profit.

If, however, the hobby results in a loss (expenses in excess of revenue), you will not be able to claim hobby losses against personal income. In this case, the CRA has deemed that the reasonable expectation of profit does not exist.



The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not take into account your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. Allan Madan and Madan Chartered Accountant will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.

Related Resources

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This