Is there any way that I can avoid paying taxes on my RRSP withdrawals if I am a non-resident?

We can help you file a non-resident tax return by making an election under section 217. By filing this return you will be eligible to be refunded all or a portion of taxes withheld on your RRSP withdrawal.

If I am currently living outside of Canada and have a RRSP, can I withdraw my funds from the RRSP tax free?

Unfortunately, if you are a non-resident of Canada and have an RRSP, any withdrawal from the RRSP while you a non-resident will be subject to a withholding tax of 25% on the withdrawal.  You can receive a refund for all or a portion of the withholding tax paid, by filing a Section 217 tax return … Continue reading If I am currently living outside of Canada and have a RRSP, can I withdraw my funds from the RRSP tax free?

What Happens To Your Child’s RESP When You Leave Canada?

You have to be a Canadian resident to receive the government grant related to RESPs. The tax-sheltered status of the RESP only applies to Canadian residents. If the subscriber or account owner is a non-resident, they might have to pay taxes on any income earned in the RESP account as well as capital gains, according … Continue reading What Happens To Your Child’s RESP When You Leave Canada?

Tax Implications for Canadians Working Abroad, Overseas, Outside Canada

Français If you are a Canadian working aboard, whether permanently or temporarily, there are many tax implications involved. Find out what tax consequences you should consider if you are permanently or temporarily working aboard or overseas outside of Canada.

Non-Resident Tax on Rental Properties in Canada

Are you a non resident who owns real estate in Canada?  If the answer is yes, then you must read this article.  In this short write-up, I give you 6 Tips on “Non Resident Tax on Rental Properties in Canada.”

Becoming a Non-Resident of Canada

Are you considering leaving to work, live or retire abroad? Read further to learn about how you can become a non-resident of Canada. This article also explores the pros and cons of completing Form NR73 and the 10 major tax implications of becoming a non-resident.

International Tax Advice Guide for Canadians

I am an International Tax Accountant in Canada.  I wrote this International Tax Guide for Canada to inform taxpayers of everything they need to know about international tax from a Canadian perspective. Whether you are an American moving to Canada, or a Canadian business expanding overseas, this guide is for you.

Tax Return Preparation for Non-Residents in Canada

Non-residents that have any connection (business, employment, investment, real estate) with Canada should be aware of their Canadian tax reporting requirements and liability for tax in Canada.

Permanent Establishment in Canada

Canadian tax rules can be overwhelming for foreign companies wanting to do business in Canada. This article explains in laymen terms, whether a foreign business is liable for tax in Canada, and what’s required from a tax compliance perspective.

International Tax Accountant in Toronto

I am an international tax accountant in Toronto. I help my clients with tax compliance, foreign reporting, withholding tax and inbound and outbound tax planning.

Pin It on Pinterest