I’m renting out the basement of my home, and collecting rent. Should I report this on my tax return?

Allan Madan, CA
 Nov 12, 2013


Definitely, yes. As per the Income Tax Act this is considered taxable income, and should be reported on your personal tax return each year. In an audit, should the Canada Revenue Agency (“CRA”) request to see your personal bank statements, the monthly rent deposits will raise a red flag, if the rental income is not reported on your personal tax return.

If you fail to report rental income earned, the CRA can impose penalties (up to 50% of the unreported income), plus interest. You should consult with your accountant on the potential expenses you can deduct against this basement rental income to minimize your tax liability.




The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not take into account your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. Allan Madan and Madan Chartered Accountant will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.

Related Resources

Leave Your Comment Here:
Required fields are marked.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

15 − eight =

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This