If I am a non-resident working in Canada, can I apply non-refundable credits to lower my taxes in Canada?

Allan Madan, CA
 Mar 20, 2013


Generally speaking, non-residents of Canada are not eligible to deduct non-refundable credits from their Canadian tax payable. However, if your income earned in Canada is 90% or more of your total worldwide income earned in the year, then you will be entitled to the same tax credits as residents of Canada are. This test takes into account all sources of income including but not limited to: employment, business, rental, taxable capital gains, and dividends.


The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not take into account your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. Allan Madan and Madan Chartered Accountant will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.

Related Resources

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This