Can rent paid by a student for residence be claimed on the personal tax return?

Allan Madan, CA
 Feb 2, 2014

No, the rental expense cannot be claimed as either a tax deduction or a tax credit. However, the student may be eligible for the Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit if applicable criteria are met. This benefit is generally paid to low-to-moderate-income individuals of at least 18 years of age for paying rent or property tax. To learn more about this benefit, eligibility criteria and application instructions, click here. Ensure supporting documentations such as lease agreement and/or rental receipts are kept in case they are requested for by the CRA .



The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not take into account your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. Allan Madan and Madan Chartered Accountant will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.

Related Resources

Leave Your Comment Here:
Required fields are marked.

Your email address will not be published.

15 − 13 =


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This