I am a Canadian resident and I received dividends and interest income from the U.S. Do I have to file a U.S. tax return?

Allan Madan, CA
 Nov 12, 2013


No, first of all, dividend from the U.S. is subject to 15% withholding tax whereas interest income from the U.S. is not subject to any withholding tax as per the Canada – U.S. tax treaty. Both sources of income will not create a U.S. tax filing liability to Canadians as long as the proper amount of withholding taxes were applied to the dividend (15%). As such, you do not have to file a U.S. tax return.



The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not take into account your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. Allan Madan and Madan Chartered Accountant will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.

Related Resources

Leave Your Comment Here:
Required fields are marked.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This