My company is incorporated in a province other than Ontario, but will be carrying on business in Ontario. Do I need an extra-provincial license?

Allan Madan, CA
 Nov 12, 2013


If your company is incorporated in a province other than Ontario, but is carrying on business in Ontario, you don’t require an extra provincial license to operate in Ontario.

However, your legal counsel or professional accountant will need to do the following:

  1. File an Initial Return/Notice of Change with the Ontario Companies Branch within 60 days of beginning to carry on business in Ontario or within 15 days after the change. This will procedure will result in your corporation receiving an Ontario Corporation Number. This form can take up to 25 business days to process.
  2. You will need to provide a copy of the articles of incorporation to the Ontario Companies Branch and a copy of any amendments made to the articles.
  3. Register your business name in Ontario and verify it’s not being used by another company by performing a NUANs search report.



The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not take into account your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. Allan Madan and Madan Chartered Accountant will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.

Related Resources

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This