Do U.S. Citizens who received a W2 slip for work done in Canada need to file a U.S. tax return?

Allan Madan, CA
 May 14, 2013

As a Citizen of the U.S. you are required to file your worldwide income for the year. Since you earned the income in Canada, it is considered Canadian source income. As such, you will be eligible to either claim the Foreign Earned Income exclusion or Foreign Tax Credit (depending on which one lowers your tax liability) in the U.S. and also in Canada if you are a resident of Canada.


The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not take into account your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. Allan Madan and Madan Chartered Accountant will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.

Related Resources

Leave Your Comment Here:
Required fields are marked.

Your email address will not be published.

five × 4 =


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This