What are the tax consequences for non-residents of Canada who become residents of Canada during the year?

Allan Madan, CA
 Mar 20, 2013

I am a non-resident of Canada living and working in Canada. However, I became resident of Canada half way through the year (eg. My family moved to Canada, I sold my principal residence in foreign country and bought a primary residence in Canada, etc). What are my tax implications?

You will be responsible for filing a non-resident tax return from January 1 – the date in which you became a resident of Canada. In this return, you will only be responsible for paying Canadian tax on income from Canada (e.g. Wages from Canadian employer)


The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not take into account your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. Allan Madan and Madan Chartered Accountant will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.

Related Resources

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This