Do university students have to file income tax return?

Allan Madan, CA
 Dec 13, 2012


Absolutely. As a student, you must file a return if any of the following situation is applicable to you:

  • you have to pay taxes for the year
  • you have not repaid all amounts withdrawn from your RRSP under the Lifelong Learning Plan
  • You have to contribute to the Canada Pension Plan (CPP)
  • You received Working income tax benefit advance payments in 2013

Even if none of the above situation applies to you, you may choose to file a return if any of the following applies:

  • You want to claim a refund
  • You want to apply for the GST/HST credit
  • You or your spouse or common-law partner wishes to apply for Canada Child Tax Benefit payments
  • You want to carry forward or transfer the unused part of your tuition, education and textbook amounts


The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not take into account your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. Allan Madan and Madan Chartered Accountant will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.

Related Resources

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This