I am selling a rental property that I owned, how will my capital gain being calculated?

Allan Madan, CA
 Mar 28, 2013


Your capital gain will be calculated based on the difference between the adjusted cost base and the selling price. Note that only 50% of the gain is taxable.

Normally, the adjusted cost base of the property is the original purchase price plus other costs incurred to make the acquisition, such costs are brokerage fees, installation costs, legal fees and the land transfer taxes. If you make any home improvements like additions or renovations through the period which you owned the house, they will increase the house value hence the costs incurred can be also added to compute the adjusted cost base.



The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not take into account your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. Allan Madan and Madan Chartered Accountant will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.

Related Resources

Leave Your Comment Here:
Required fields are marked.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

fifteen + 12 =


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This