In the event of a divorce, which spouse gets to claim the eligible dependent credit?

Allan Madan, CA
 Nov 12, 2013


You can claim this credit if you lived with your child (under 18 years of age) in a home that you owned or rented. You cannot claim this amount for a person who was only visiting you. Further, you must have supported your child and you must not have a spouse or common-law partner. For the years after the year of separation, the Income Tax Act (ITA) stops a parent from claiming the eligible dependent credit if the parent is required to pay child support.

In the year of separation, the ITA stops a parent from claiming the Eligible dependent credit, if the parent claims a child support payment deduction for the year. In other words, in year of separation you can claim this credit even if you make child support payments, as long as you do not deduct support payments. However, child support payments are only deductible in very rare cases.



The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not take into account your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. Allan Madan and Madan Chartered Accountant will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.

Related Resources

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This