I’m a non-resident owning rental property in Canada. I’m confused between the NR4 slip, and NR6 form.

Allan Madan, CA
 Nov 12, 2013


By filling form NR6 with the CRA, your agent/tenant will only withhold 25% of the net amount of your monthly rent, versus 25% of the gross amount of your monthly rent. The NR6 form should be filed at the end of the year for the following year. For example, if your tenant pays you $3,000 per month in rent, without filing the NR6 form, the tenant/agent would have to remit 25% of the $3,000 to the CRA in the form of withholding taxes.

However, by filing the NR6 form with the CRA, the withholding tax would be reduce to 25% of your monthly net profit (rents collected minus rental expenses). The NR4 slip is due by March 31 of the following taxation year. This slip reports the total rent paid, and the amount of taxes withheld and remitted to the CRA for the calendar year. This slip is included with the Non Resident Rental Return (Section 216 Income Tax Return), which is filed annually.

It is important to note that the CRA only issues the NR4 slip to you if it’s requested by you.




The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not take into account your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. Allan Madan and Madan Chartered Accountant will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.

Related Resources

Leave Your Comment Here:
Required fields are marked.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

19 − 14 =

Business & Corporate Tax

I’m planning to incorporate a business as a non-resident of Canada. Can I be a non-resident director and still incorporate?

I have a non-resident corporation. Do I also need to open a HST account and why?

I was fully reimbursed by my client for meals I purchased while providing services to my client. Are my meals expenses 100% deductible in this case?

I’m a non-resident of Canada. Can I use a Canadian P.O. BOX as the registered head office for my Canadian corporation?

U.S. & Cross Border Tax

When are U.S. Personal Tax Returns due?

I am a Canadian resident and have some funds in a U.S. 401K. What is the most tax efficient way of bringing these monies into Canada?

A US corporation is considering doing business in Canada. What are some of the formalities that must be fulfilled?

What is the tax deadline for U.S. Personal Tax Return?

Personal Tax

I will make instalment payments for the current year based on the estimated taxes payable. What if, during the course of the year, my net income increases dramatically (the taxes payable will increase too). What are the tax implications?

I have taken money out of my RRSP under Home Buyer’s Plan (HBP) and the Lifelong Learning Plan (LLP) and I will be leaving Canada. What are the tax consequences?

I purchased a computer for employment purposes. As an employee, can I deduct this as employment expense?

If my total income from all sources (including EI benefits for maternity) is high, am I required to repay some of the EI I received?

Get In Touch

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This