If I am an employee working overseas, can I contribute into CPP?

Allan Madan, CA
 Sep 5, 2012

CPP is simply payable on Canadian earnings. Contributions are based upon the amount of Income earned here in Canada.

If you are an employee working abroad, voluntarily based CCP contributions can be made if Canada has a Social Security agreement with the other country. The following conditions must be met:

  1. Employee is a resident of Canada
  2. Employee is not in employment that would be pensionable under another provision of CPP
  3. Election is made to pay contributions within one year from June 15 of the following year in which employment took place.


The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not take into account your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. Allan Madan and Madan Chartered Accountant will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.

Related Resources

    Get In Touch

    Pin It on Pinterest

    Share This