I just bought a new house with the closing today, but my current house will be sold soon. How can I maximize deductions?

Allan Madan, CA
 Jan 13, 2014
Photo credit: MarkMoz12 via Foter.com / CC BY
Photo credit: MarkMoz12 via Foter.com / CC BY

The CRA provides taxpayers with tax relief in this situation by way of the principal residence exemption. When you own two homes in a year the year or subsequent year, you can elect to have both of those homes treated as your principal residence in those years. This is because the principal residence contains ” + 1 extra year in the numerator of the formula.


The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not take into account your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. Allan Madan and Madan Chartered Accountant will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.

Related Resources

Leave Your Comment Here:
Required fields are marked.

Your email address will not be published.

one + 8 =


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This