What are my tax obligations if I am a non-resident holding rental property?

Allan Madan, CA
 Nov 12, 2013


If you earn rental income from Canadian real property, you must file a Section 216 return. As a non-resident, a representative in Canada (i.e.: your tenant or property manager) will have to withhold 25% of the gross rental income paid to you and remit this amount to the CRA. The CRA will subsequently issue an NR4 slip, which will be required to file a Section 216 return to recover a portion of the withholding taxes paid.



The information provided on this page is intended to provide general information. The information does not take into account your personal situation and is not intended to be used without consultation from accounting and financial professionals. Allan Madan and Madan Chartered Accountant will not be held liable for any problems that arise from the usage of the information provided on this page.

Related Resources

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This